After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Monday, December 14, 2009

rome for two nights

My first day in Rome was spent trying to relinquish a cold by walking around in the chilly rainy weather all day long. While I am sure this was not the best way to treat it, my walk did pay off. I stopped a pharmacy along my way and the nice man pull some helpful throat lozenges from behind his counter. And, I saw a lot of the city as well!

Rome is a walking city. There are buses and a great metro line, but I think you would miss a lot by bouncing around on those to all the highlights. There are so many alleyways with colorful old buildings and stone streets.


The Beehive, where I stayed (and recommend if you are on a budget), issues a map of the city (on recycled paper) to every guest and I had it in my hand nearly all day. The first place I walked toward was the Coliseum. I love walking to a historic or architectural wonder and letting the icon reveal itself in front of me. Seeing the Coliseum was one of those “ooo and ahhh” moments as the structure came into view through the trees. Sometimes, I really cannot believe where I have found myself to be.


I paid the inflated tourist attraction price and walked myself through the structure, taking in the vast galleries were people used to sit, stand, cheer and jeer at the games below. I can hardly imagine what it would be like when the structure was complete and marble covered; where gladiators and animals were elevator’ed up to the arena.


There is a lot to see in the area near the Coliseum including both historic Palatine, and the Roman Forum. I imagined what it was like to see people from the top of Palatine hill walking among the buildings, temples, and columns below.


I exited out of the area near the Forum and walked past the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Il Victoriano before making a gelati stop. Mmm…Italy is good for many things ending in vowels: pizza, gelati, lamborgini, ducati, ferrari, canoli, espresso, cappuccino, etc.


Next on the agenda was discovering the Pantheon. Call me a bit uneducated on ancient architecture, but I did not realize the place had been converted into a church. Who wouldn't want to go to church in the Pantheon every Sunday?


I continued walking through Piazza Navona. I was pretty disappointed by the Christmas display though. The environment was like a county fair, but there were dozens of booths selling all parts of nativity sets. A strange little market. I did not come to see a circus in Rome, so I scooted through the square quickly and made my way to the Trevi Fountain.

Even in the rain, the fountain was beautifully carved with lovely sculptures and aqua waters. It is probably my favorite sight of the day.


No comments: