What I was most disappointed with in the entire Vatican experience was that visitors cannot take photos of the coolest things; like Peter's tomb, or the artwork in the Sistine Chapel, and such. But, I did enjoy walking by the points of history and remembering that there was an exchange of papal power on the eve of my birth.

My morning started at St. Peter's Basilica. I really could not help but imagine what Peter would think if he walked into this cathedral bearing his name. The opulence is nearly choking when you consider that Jesus' disciples up and followed him sans paintings, chalices, sculptures, seraphim, frescos, floor tiles, and so forth. My dad mentioned something another person who visited the Vatican said: For the pope, he sure has a lot of stuff.

But, for a place to worship God, where people can bring back offerings of themselves to decorate a holy place, I can understand the awe-inspiring rooms. The entire Vatican museums are coated in all sorts of art. I also walked by a lot of dead people; dead popes, dead saints, dead Egyptian mummies, and a hearse even rolled by when I was walking down the street. On this around the world trip, I am 2 for 12 of the disciples now!
The Sistine Chapel really was quite amazing. I did not know there was so much artwork by Michelangelo in the room. I really found a deep appreciation for "Creation" high on the ceiling and stood under it wondering what would happen if I started singing Amazing Grace. I believe I would have been "shhh'ed" by the Shhh-ers who were shooting dirty looks at people who's cell phone rang and pulling cameras out of hands that were trying to ruin the sacred place with their snap-and-shoots (I admit, I was ready to raise my glass to the ceiling, too, but have just an ounce of respect for rules).
After leaving the Vatican, I walked quite a bit again. I walked by the Castel Sant' Angelo and crossed the Tiber River. By this time I was getting quite hungry, but kept marching along looking at the streets I was treading on and amazed again at the history in the city.

I ended my day at the Spanish Steps, where, amazingly, the sun came out. The sunset was spectacular and unexpected as rain had been in the forecast the entire time I was in the city!

After another six or seven hours on my feet, I finally wandered the streets near the steps and found a little place to enjoy some canolini and a cappuccino before walking back toward Termini Station and turning in for the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment