After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

the aurora

In the past couple weeks we have had a number of aurora sitings. Most of this past week the aurora forecast has been real high, but so has the forecast for the clouds hanging in the sky; blocking the view. But on occasion, we get to see the night sky lit up with a gorgeous glow. The phenomena does not cease to amaze me.

I have had a couple opportunities to take a couple snapshots. The more brilliant of the two posted here was my first attempt at capturing the light in the sky, so it is a bit grainy.

The second photo was taken at noon. With quite a bit of daylight in the sky the aurora was faint, but still there; slowly morphing in front of my eyes. I wish I worked in a more lenient department so I could duck out of work during the day when they are out and poise my camera at the sky.

No comments: