After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

entitlement in u.s.

For better or worse, my recurring trips to the Southern hemisphere give me an unusual opportunity to observe North American culture from outside the bubble, so to speak. I find that, in general the society has grown to be a selfish group of entitled individuals who only look out for themselves. My perception is very sad as I include myself in the group to some extent. I know I sink into the very same comfortable lifestyle I feel I "deserve;" but in reality, who are we to think we deserve anything. In fact, we are blessed to have everything that is in our possession.

The way I have come to understand my "home" this way makes it very difficult to re-assimilate into the culture. One of the more difficult areas is trying to express these emotions to people back home without offending their lifestyle. In some places, the lifestyle needs offending. In others, I know I over-react a bit. So, I decided to let a song do the dirty work for me. Every time I listen to Guy Forsyth's lyrics in Long Long Time, I nod my head in agreement.

For some notes on redeeming this ugly part of culture, check out the Christ Community Church blog and find the The Burbs: Finding God in a Plastic World Series.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It's really sad that our culture is like this. I'm trying really hard to not teach Madeline entitlement. I can already tell it's going to be a challenge.