After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

antarctic entertainment

There are a couple entertainment outlets that seem to pertain to the Antarctic lifestyle. A couple of my observations are below.

WhiteOut: This movie trailer definitely capitalizes on Antarctica's extremes. I'm sure the great entertainment value to the Antarctic population in this movie would be to pick out all the inaccuracies or misinterpretations that will further mislead the general world population into what life is really like down here.

Has anyone seen U2's new album, No Line on the Horizon?
Has anyone noticed that nearly all the songs pertain to something in Antarctica?
Track List:
  1. No Line On The Horizon - Yep, it's so dark, there's no horizon!
  2. Magnificent - One look at the Royal Society when the moon shines over them is more than Magnificent!
  3. Moment of Surrender - We all have those; the biggest of which is when we sign that primary contract and get our tickets sorted.
  4. Unknown Caller - Most of our phones do not have Caller ID. And, anyone receiving a call would think they were taking a line from Denver.
  5. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight - That's why we take the psychological evaluation. Seems like there are still a few exceptions.
  6. Get On Your Boots - A daily occurrence.
  7. Stand Up Comedy - Comedy in the form of cynicism is a daily occurrence in my lunch circle.
  8. Fez -- Being Born - Could make something up, but this one really doesn't jive with my theme.
  9. White As Snow -Enough said.
  10. Breathe - Lots of O2 here. Breathing is good; even when it's so cold it's difficult.
  11. Cedars Of Lebanon - Beyond the fact that there are petrified trees on this continent, I can't say much else.

Of course, their are older forms of Antarctic entertainment like Modest Mouse's The Moon and Antarctica album with enough precise references to life here that they must have known someone who had been here. We also have the Of Montreal release of Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games.

I could go on, but that will be all for today's media connections to Antarctica.

2 comments:

hisgoodnews said...

In WhiteOut, Hollywood or whoever produced that movie sure sensationalized Antarctica didn't they. They make the place look too scary.
Enjoyed reading your interesting observations on the songs from the U2 album.
How did you first become interested in working at a magnificent place like the Antartica? Did pictures or stories help in the decision? Did a person or persons have the most influence?
Keep up the "good" writing!

Amy said...

I never knew there were petrified trees on Antarctica. You learn something new every day. Especially when I read your blogs :)