After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

the mundane

Nothing much exciting has happened lately, although, I have been reminded of what a spectacular place I live in this week. It's hard not to get bogged down with the mundanity of life and work and hanging around and living so closely with the same people every day. Sometimes it just takes an ah-ha moment when the snow glitters by moonlight, or the silhouette of the mountains appears, or even the realization that I am probably 1 of less than a thousand, or two, living on this continent for the next three months yet. It is a special place here. Life, or the lack-thereof is uninterrupted. The wind blows, the temperatures plunge, snow falls; and we just keep living and keeping the place operating.

Life has been about as mundane as cleaning house, which is what I also get to do this week. Because we have a limited staff down here, each of us takes turns "house-mousing" our dorms. This is my week, so I've left work a little early a couple days to sweep, vacuum, take out trash, and tidy up a bit. I found myself thinking of Mary Poppins when I came in from taking the trash out: "rosy cheeks and everything!" I also had my monthly community dining attendant duty. I've got enough stressful work to be done at my "real" job, that these tasks are welcomed in my day. And, it's certainly one way that we are all an active part in the community here.

Other than that, my skin is getting whiter, my chocolate supply is depleting, I've resigned myself to darkness (as we see the moon, planets, and stars 24 hours a day if it's clear), and the temperature plunged 40F degrees in two days. It was a chilly -31F/35C without the windchill today. Brrr!

Enough said; tonight's Bingo night. Best be off!

1 comment:

hisgoodnews said...

Andrea,
You are one of the thousand "amazing" citizens of this country who volunteer to live and work in a place of extremes for several months. It sounds like you have a positive attitude and are "weathering" your environment well. I like your enthusiasm for life and look forward to reading your blog all of your winter during all of our summer. Anything you write is worth reading. It gives me a glimpse of your way of life there. My mind is inquisitive, you feed my curiosity. I have some pretty neat cousins, you are one of them!!!
Merlin