After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Friday, May 8, 2009

having a ball

All natural life may have disappeared here for the winter, but there is plenty of livelihood to be seen on our base. Last weekend we had a "Famous Dead People's Ball." Since we are in Antarctica, I didn't expect people to come up with all that much in terms of costumes, but it turns out there's a pretty large number of creative souls out there. We raised a number of personas from the ground. Pictured here are Gandhi, Bob Marley, and the man who fell off the Titanic into the props. Other notables were Tammy Faye Bakker, Chris Farley, Jackie Kennedy, and James Dean.

Of course, I went as myself; famous in graveyards all over the world and I'm not even dead yet. I can't say I was particularly creative in my planning, but it was better than showing up without anything! Pardon the super cheesy grin, but I had a decent time. I walked home early and saw my very first Aurora Australis; weak, but amazing none-the-less.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my word, your costume is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Is Ghandi wearing a sheet or an Indian woman's sari? I see the print around the arms and it looks like a sari from here.......which begs the question of packing: 'hmmm, thermal underwear, wool socks, spare glasses, sari, ok looking good!'

Great pictures!
Sarah
Norfolk VA

hisgoodnews said...

Hi from your second cousin in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. This is a great way to see a part of our big world through your eyes.
Merlin