After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

security woes

Seriously! With this new security, my bags have been pilfered through completely. The US security procedures are out of control. It does not matter how carefully I have packed my bags, someones hands are all over my stuff. Even our checked bags were looked through; which held up our London to Chicago flight and pushed our departure time into the next wave of snowstorms. I sat on the plane three hours before we pushed off from the gate and took off. Thankfully, our in-flight entertainment was turned on and I had an entire movie watched by the time we took to the air.

I am actually embarrassed that one country can require such time-consuming, invasive security checks. After flying all the way around the world, it is awful trying to get back to the place I should want to come home to. Do I feel safer; not really. I just feel accosted by the friskers.

In more efficient news, I was anticipating a long explanation at Immigration regarding all the 15, or so, countries I listed as visited on this trip (I nearly ran out of room in super-small print on the customs form). However, the friendly man just asked a couple generic questions about how long I had been gone and that was it. What a relief!

On the other end of my long flight were a great group of girlfriends in Chicago. My friend, Shari, offered to host a gathering for me. Despite running about an hour late, I was grateful for her hospitality and the friends who were there. It was a great way to be welcomed back to the United States and catch up a bit in my travel-frazzled mind with friends. And, it forced me to stay up a bit later than I would have and avoid the worst of jet lag.

No comments: