The cold weather was biting at my cheerful disposition at this stop and that made it hard to walk around town. I had a long afternoon to occupy my time, though and made my way to the floating flower markets. I only wish I could see them in the spring when all the tulips would be blooming. I did see a few colorful pots, but mostly wooden tulips were being sold along with plenty of bulbs like those below.

Bicycles are the normal way of travel in the Netherlands; even in the winter. Cyclists will bundle up and travel over ice and snow with their bikes. Kids, adults; babies in seats behind can all be seen and are given the ultimate right-of-way to cars and pedestrians.

I spent a lot of time marveling at the canal houses and shops along my way. Some of them are leaning or tipping or braced, but all look unique and neat in their place in Amsterdam.

The place I most wanted to see in Amsterdam was the Anne Frank House. I am really happy it worked out for me to see that. What a sobering story to walk through. I think what nearly moved me to tears were the pictures Anne put on her wall of pretty people, cartoons, and postcards her dad brought in to her. I would have done the same thing. Those pictures are still posted on the walls. Anne had a good sense of self during this war and probably spoke for a number of other souls in her diary. Her creative spirit reminded me of myself and her life did not even get to half of where I am now.

There was a parliamentary meeting in Dam Square right by my hotel and the Queen of The Netherlands was to arrive there, but on my way back from the Anne Frank House, I realized the reason no one had seen her enter was because the red carpet was rolled out the back door.

A friend in the hotel industry had booked a hotel room for me at the Swissotel and so I ended my trip the way it started in Christchurch with a pruny bath. I turned in pretty early to avoid the cold and get ready to fly. After three months of traveling, I am grateful for a lovely and very clean hotel to stay on my own!
1 comment:
I saw the movie about the diary of Ann Frank. It was such a sad story. It was only a few days after she died that the camp she was in was liberated. If she could have hung on just a little longer.
You actually got to see the hiding place where she lived before the Germans found her and her family.
A piece of history lives on.
Merlin
Post a Comment