After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

untouched landscapes

A C-17 is not like a typical commercial airliner. There are no window seats; only a vast gray belly to sit in right along side the cargo. This time around, we only had our bags and a small amount of mail, but others have flown with helicopters, tractors, waterless urinals, and plenty of other station necessities.

There are a couple of port hole windows that we are able to look through after we reach a cruising altitude. I love looking out at the vast landscapes of Antarctica through this tiny window. The landscapes are made of untouched glaciers, cliffs, icebergs, mountain ranges and valleys carved out of ice and snow. It is all quite breathtaking!

The last photo is of the sea ice far below. There are many cracks and fissures; like a broken piece of glass. The sun was catching some of the open water under the clouds. After 8 months of looking at the same scene over and over again, these new views were indescribable!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Beautiful photos Andrea! I've sure enjoyed getting a sneak peak through your blog into this place I'm certain I'll never see in person.