After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Monday, August 24, 2009

lit

Over the weekend, we had some fantastic skies filled with nacreous clouds. If you would like to know more about them, I would encourage you to click on the link to Wikipedia's description of them. I touched up the image quality of these photos, but have not distorted the colors that were pronounced on Sunday over McMurdo Station and the surrounding area.

The first photo was what I woke up to on Sunday morning, like God blessing the island with color and light reflected in the clouds. The second photo is a few minutes later; less brilliant, but with, perhaps, more colors than I could imagine. The last, much later in the afternoon, seemed to bring out strange glows of the sun setting beyond our hills.

I would never have believed these surreal colors and textures would exist in the sky if I had seen photos from someone else, but this was a vivid reality over Saturday and Sunday; huge walls of layered, colored clouds. It is no wonder that some people call them "mother of pearl" clouds! My friend, Joe, and I went out to stare at their brilliance and capture the essence of what we saw so far above out world; reflecting a sun we have not yet seen from McMurdo Station yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Those clouds are amazing!! So beautiful!
~maria

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures - you are so adept at sharing the beauty with all of us! Faye

Anonymous said...

These photos are amazing! The third in the series does really look like "mother of pearl" Thanks for sharing! Mindy

Anonymous said...

The bottom photo looks like melted whipped cream in hot chocolate. Can't believe the sky could look like this. Merlin