After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

goodies

A number of items have been waiting in Christchurch, New Zealand for the first flights of the season to Antarctica. After being secluded from the rest of the world for 6 months, the relief and joy of receiving things from beyond this small island is indescribable.

All the "things" are nice, but my favorites were letters from friends. Receiving a letter from my cousin, Lorinda, gave me an understanding of what it must have been like for people arriving to America for the first time; waiting and waiting and waiting to receive messages and news from people back in England. Letter writing has lost some of its charm to e-mail and social networking, but I was able to feel the value of the hobby when I read her letter!

A great care package came from my friend, Char, who I met during my first season in Antarctica. She knew exactly what I might need and want here and carefully packaged them up for me!

I highlighted a couple, but thank you to all of those who thought to send a letter or package! Now we have another month (until September 29) before another plane shows up, but this initial connection with the rest of the world will hold me over until the next batch of mail orders and letters might show up!

Also, notable was the fruit arriving on the first flight. The winterovers on station each got a paper bag to fill with apples, oranges, and bananas; a true treat. I forgot what a banana tastes like of the last 6 months and was gleeming when took big bites off it!

No comments: