After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

running in winter

We could not have asked for better weather on the day of the Midwinter Run. This is a dash around the Discovery Hut and back (maybe 1.5 miles). The wind was quiet and the sky was clear. No one had frost nip or frost bite, and everyone finished the race on their own feet. We had a great turn out; it seemed like more than half the station was out for the event. No doubt the fair temperatures were enough to draw people from their beds rather than hitting the snooze on a Sunday morning.

I opted to walk rather than run. I walked along with my friend and the only other girl up in my building, Hally. It was nice to chatter for awhile with each other and not because of the cold! It felt good just to get outside for awhile, too. Afterward, we had prizes and t-shirts, and Sunday brunch, of course! This picture is of me finishing the race.

With a good forecast for auroras, I ventured out later in the afternoon as well, but was disappointed by the wind and blowing snow.

Thanks to Wally for the race photos.

1 comment:

hisgoodnews said...

I like "close-ups". When the skin turns pink you know it's cold don't you.