After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

weather

I've been observing how snow blows over, around, and through things on my way to work and back each day. This picture was taken of a ditch filled with snow and dust from our quaint little island. I imagine the continent of Antarctica is just a bigger version of this little snow patch; filled with ridges, mountain ranges, valleys and plateaus etched by wind and fine snow.

This evening I watched the weather roll into McMurdo. Outside the window, the snow blowing over the ground looked like rippling water that sometimes splashes up against itself. There is an ebb and flow to the wind and snow as it argues and fights with itself. Blowing snow is much finer than falling snow and disappears faster than it flew in; like God has one giant broom and he's sweeping up this part of the world over the course of the winter.

We're due for a big storm this Easter weekend and my overnight trip out to the "A-Frame" was canceled.

No comments: