After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Monday, April 13, 2009

snow on the inside

Monday morning I had some comp time from doing the dishes on Sunday evening, so I was going to sleep in and spend my morning with some time off. A better series of events followed: McMurdo Station went to Condition 1. This is the weather condition that prevents unnecessary travel outside. Rope lines had been put up from the other dorms to mine (where we also have our galley) the day before in anticipation of this weather. The wind was of hurricane force and some windows blew out, a couple of buildings' cold alarms went off and some power went out as well.

I went around my building this afternoon to take pictures of the snow inside. Not all the structures are completely sealed against these strong winds and the fine snow that blows in with them, so we can often see drifting inside. Some of the drifting on the outside of the windowsills was pretty cool, too (but I'm sure most of you have seen that before).

The town has been downgraded to Condition 2 this evening and so we'll likely all trudge back on to our work centers in the morning in some fairly difficult conditions. I still have my comp time to burn, but I'll wait for a day or two now so I can catch up a bit from this Monday off.

In the meantime, nearly everyone got to enjoy a 'snow day' in Antarctica and watch the white swirl by the windows, drift up in doorways and take unexpected two day weekend!

All these photos were taken on the inside of doors and windows.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Yikes! So what happens when the windows blow out? Do they have spares around or do you have to wait until flights can deliver new panes? Looks chilly -- hope you're staying warm and safe!

Kerri