After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

antarctica undressed

This is a pictoral illustration of what layering looks like when I go out for a hike or on a trip away from town. Most of what I am wearing is considered our Extremely Cold Weather (ECW) gear that we are supposed to carry with us when we leave McMurdo-proper. When in town, most of us can wear regular street clothes and dart between buildings. On any given work day, I throw on a pair of long underwear under my normal clothes since I tend to run a bit on the cool side.

layer 1.
Red parka
Balaclava
Gloves
Sunglasses
Blue FDX Boots

layer 2.
Hat
Soft shell jacket
Glove liners

layer 3.
Fleece sweatshirt

layer 4.
Carhartt Coveralls
Boot liners

layer 5.
Wool shirt
Fleece long underwear
Thick wool socks

layer 6.
Heavy weight UnderArmour
Sock liners

On the table in front of me are things I carried in my pocket; just in case:
Cookie
Chocolate
Granola bar
Hand warmers
Chapstick
Ear Warmer
Goggles
And, out of sight are my water bottle and a camera.

2 comments:

Emily Dykstra said...

This is such a cool post, A! I've been meaning to comment lately but life got the better of me. You're a fantastic photographer. I like the last photo best with your "oh my" face. Hilarious.

Ken Rip said...

cool...makes me want to be there