After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

goes and middelburg

I met Carrie when I was in college. She was one of the first people I met once I arrived my freshman year and we were on the track team together. She lives in The Netherlands with her husband, Jason, and two kids. Of course, I would include a stop at their home on my around-the-world adventures!


She showed me around their little corner of Zeeland and brought me out for pannekoeken (dutch pancakes) and a morning out in her town of Goes (pronounced: huse with a hard 'h'). Her town is beautiful; even in the rain. We walked around the churches, shops, and picked up some sticky rolls at the bakery.

Today, I took a walking tour of Middleburg with Jason where the Dutch East India Trading Company operated out of. This was the first multinational company to issue stocks in the world and remained in power for two centuries before it was riddled with corruption and went bankrupt.


The walking tour we went on took us around the town, over some canals and through a variety of streets and around plenty of buildings with historical significance of one sort or another.



After the tour, we met up with Carrie and the kids at Mini Mundi, a fun indoor playground for kids with all sorts of slides and climbing opportunities. Outside we found the miniature towns of Zeeland. Each town in the region is represented with their historical buildings. The works is pretty impressive to see!

No comments: