After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Monday, December 21, 2009

zagreb

I spent one full day exploring Zagreb. The snow was a big disappointment to me, but most of Europe was touched by it, and I wanted to see the city, so I layered up and went into town in search of boots. I found a cheap pair to hold me over until I get to my belongings in North America.


Zagreb is charming town I expected to be quite dull, but is actually very colorful. I am sure the charm goes a lot further in the warmer months, but I did make the most of my maps and legs and took a short gander around the walls and buildings of the city.


I also went to a coffee shop to warm up and circulated through the Christmas fair going on in the pedestrian streets. I even bought a small paper Christmas tree for myself! They had all sorts of things from handmade gifts and souvenirs to candy canes and sweets, hats and scarves.


There were a lot of interesting buildings and churches to see, but I was most taken with the doors and windows in the town. And, being Christmas season in a predominantly Roman Catholic country, I enjoyed the decorations and festive winter feel of the city, as well!


I planned to take the tram back to my hostel and go to a recommended restaurant out that direction, but ran into a presidential election campaign running some PR in the city square. They had free mulled wine and sausages and traditional dancers out and about promoting their candidate. Elections in Croatia are on 27 December.


I joined in the fun and met a couple of English speaking Croats who were hemming and hawing over their choices in the election. The warm mulled wine was amazing and I was glad to have something to warm my hands and head! This is one of the more fascinating things I have stepped into so far.

No comments: