
Police in riot gear still stand sentinel on the corners waiting and watching everyone walking by. A helicopter has been buzzing over the city for two days now; I cannot quite tell if it is flown by the police, or the news. I saw some people carrying a banner down the street today. This is all in reaction to the police killing a 12 year old boy last year.
I cannot tell if all the garbage in the streets is a result of all the rain we have had in the past three days, or from the crowds and protests, or from the continuing garbage strike. Some of it riotous material; a face mask, propaganda papers, and the like. The garbage strike has trash flowing out of every alley and onto nearly every street. Trash bins are over flowing and dumpsters are turning into minor mountain tops throughout the city. I have been told it is good the weather is cooler, but eventually the rats will likely start coming out. And, no one wants to see rats and garbage in the streets at Christmas time!

And, it looks like a new batch of most-likely illegal imigrant men and faux handbags arrived. The streets were so crowded with white sheets displaying knockoff items that I could barely negotiate the sidewalk. They are certainly here just on time for Christmas shopping. And, the advent season seemed to bring out a number of shoppers this Monday afternoon as well.
So, the walk was a bit more chaotic than usual. New spray paint adorns some of the buildings today; mostly in Greek, but the one I could read was "antifacista." Someone came along later and crossed out the "anti." I was glad to be back at the apartment for a breather.
No comments:
Post a Comment