After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

naxos

Naxos was my next stop for one night. As much as I liked the beauty of Santorini, I felt much more comfortable on Naxos. I cannot pinpoint if it was the hotel I stayed in, or the shot of Naxos' own Citron I received upon arrival, or if it was because the town was still 'open' rather than closed down for the tourist season. But, whatever, the reason, I enjoyed this little port town on the island.


In comparison to the place I stayed on Santorini, the hotel I stayed at was lovely. I had a breathtaking view of the Aegean Sea and the iconic arch on Naxos (not pictured). The family running the place was friendly, always offering rides into town (less than 1km), and making sure the experience was perfect.


I was out and about right away when I arrived and found all sorts of interesting things to take pictures of. I liked this statue of a woman looking toward the sea and immitated what I thought she might have been doing had her arms still been attached to her body.



The windows and doors in the old city were beautiful and led up to a castle on the top of the hill. The brilliant colors were impressive and liked that so much of the historic culture was still lived out today in this town.


I had a lot of time to walk and think and reflect on life here. In the morning I walked out to a beach and just watched the clear water ebb and flow while I wrote some thoughts and smiled at what a beautiful gift it is for me to be in Greece, on a deserted beach, with only my thoughts.


But, everything comes to an end, so I went into town for a gyro and a take away Greek salad before sitting on the dock and waiting for my ferry to pick me up. Even the waiting on this island was pleasurable as I took in one of the most gorgeous sunsets I have seen on my trip over the water and neighboring islands.

The ferry took me back to Piraeus at 11:30pm, just enough time to catch the Metro back to Thissia. However, due to some construction on the line, I had to get off and take a bus more than half the way and did not arrive back until 1am.

A long day, but a memorable trip!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrea, you are getting some very artistic photos. The kind of photos you would find in professional photo books. Neat! I like!
Merlin