After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Friday, December 11, 2009

the castle

Next time I visit Turkey, I am going to be sporting a head cover (which I had, but didn't even think to don during my stay) and a knock-off wedding ring and maybe a friend, or two.


That being said, day two of my perusal through İstanbul was equally as exhausting and amazing as the first. The rain was persistent and the wind bent my unfortunate umbrella, but the only thing it dampened for me was my desire to whip out my camera around every corner and balance my bag of belongings and wet umbrella while getting soggy photos.

My first stop was the Topkapi Castle where I began tiring of paying ridiculous amounts of Lira to enter a building. But, there were some items worth seeing. Unfortunately, they are also so valuable that they are not worth photography apparently!

I saw Sultans' clothing over 500 years old. I walked by the arm and skull apparently belonging to the Prophet John (the Baptist). I wondered why an impression of Muhammad's footprint was worth preserving in a museum (when you have got the bones of John, a footprint seems a bit dry). I stared at the stick of Moses and wondered if Moses actually really held that polished piece of wood. I peered in at an 86 carat diamond. There is quite an impressive collection of artifacts and history in this castle's walls.

Back out in the rain, I exited the castle's walls and headed towards the bazaars.

No comments: