Leaving Dubai was actually a bit sad. I arrived thinking I might tire of the opulence, but actually, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience, the culture of the country, all the people, but mostly the international flair of the city.In the morning, I started throwing my things back in their respective luggage compartments and met my friend, Raki, at Starbucks for coffee. Prior to arriving in Dubai, he was the only person I knew in the city, but was sick while I visited. We had a lovely time catching up, could have talked all day, but I had to run to the airport, and was simply happy our paths crossed in Dubai!
Running a bit late, I had a great taxi driver who scooted through traffic and made up the time for me. I snapped a couple photos of the Burj Dubai; the world's tallest building. It is set to open in January.The airport is quite friendly to shoppers and I picked up a couple postcards before flying out to Amman, Jordan.
I arrived in Jordan with plenty of time to be settled before meeting my friend, Kelsey. I casually wandered through customs: First, you change money into Jordanian Dinars, then you purchase your visa, then you go through immigration, and then finally pick up luggage and wander through customs. This was the first time that customs agents actually made personal comments (and perhaps even flirted with me) while I was trying to enter the country. I know it is culturally strange for a woman to travel by herself, but still found the agents a touch on the unprofessional side.
Kelsey, a friend of mine from high school who met me in Amman from her home in Athens, Greece, had a similar time coming through customs. I was relieved when she walked into the hotel. Although, neither of us had any idea of what we wanted to see and do.
No comments:
Post a Comment