After looking for a job for one year, I ended up in the place I started: Antarctica.
This time, a new adventure is unfolding which will bring me through a winter season:
no flights, no fresh food, no mail, no sunlight.
Travel, friends, and family await.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

comedy of errors

If nothing else, this season in Antarctica has been a comedy of errors or miscalculations.

For example,
...just when I feel like I have this job figured out and my reports sorted, the department manager decides to add another monthly report.
...or, when I finally get back into a workout routine and scrounge up the motivation to consistently run and walk after work, my neck plays games with me and knocks me out of commission with a huge cramp (most of this week has been a medicated blur).

So, I shouldn't have been surprised that while I was busy finishing up week-end reports and multitasking for the Mid-Winter Dinner preparations with about seven Outlook, database, Explorer, Excel, and Word windows open, that I found smoke wafting out of my computer today. At first, I, momentarily, convinced myself that it was low on my priority list and I would 'get to it later,' before realizing that smoke usually comes from fire, and that typically does not wait for me to finish my e-mails.

Then I couldn't figure out what was smoking, but quickly realized it was my computer. I powered down, called the fire department, paged my supervisor (because if a fire extinguisher needed to be used, I certainly wasn't in the best shape to lift it with my 'pain in the neck'). Seeing as how it was just smoking, I stood by the extinguisher, ready to pull it off the wall at the first sign of flame-age; and then the smoke subsided.

This is really a pretty boring benign story, but in a town of a 153 people, when the fire truck actually gets called out for a 'real' call, it's a big deal. I went to lunch and had all sorts of comments referring to me trying to intentionally stop working, or wanting a new computer, or smelling like smoke, or creating drama for the rest of the station. When I finally came back and got logged in on a new computer (with my old --unharmed--hard drive), I had these lovely e-mails, as well:

From Bethany, the Fire Dispatcher: It's cause my emails to you were just SO hot!! right! thanks for calling, gave the crew some excitement.

From Ken, the IT Systems Administrator: What did you do? If you wanted a faster computer all you had to was ask…

I find it crazy that the town's a-buzz over such a small incident. But, it's the little things that keep us occupied through an otherwise "Groundhog Day" sort of existence.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

That's hilarious! I can hardly believe your hard drive was fine even though your computer was SMOKING! I hope your neck is back to normal soon.

hisgoodnews said...

This "is" hilarious. You definately keep things interesting around there don't you. I too hope your neck is getting back to normal. You keep such an interesting blog.

hisgoodnews said...

In all seriousness you acted responsibly. If I were you employer, I would have been pleased with your performance. I have noticed that the bottom center of a laptop can get very warm while using it. Quite often if I am using it on a flat surface, I will prop its edges on books or something to raise it up so that the heat can escape while using it. You did good!! Fortunately after your quick thinking you and the others could laugh about the experience afterwards.