This last weekend was a two day weekend for McMurdo. This may sound normal for most people, but down here, we work six days a week, ten hours each day. Other than relaxing and enjoying myself, I also spent sometime at the horseshoe tournament our department hosted. I didn't put my name in the tournament though because being up there (even for a horseshoe tournament) is a bit like being back at work for the weekend. So, I just turned up for a few minutes to take pictures and get some food.I enjoy making coffee. So when we had the opportunity to volunteer as a barista this winter, I jumped at the opportunity. So, I get to make "free" coffee with "tips appreciated." Today, along with burrito bar and mimosas and bloody beer, I served a variety of tasty coffee beverages. I had a great time and hung out with some fun folks, too!
I also made a trip to Skua. This is our local free "goodwill" where people can leave items they are done using, or don't want to haul back to New Zealand. Skua is the scavenger bird that flies around here during the summer and dive-bombs unaware victims wearing red parkas and carrying blue galley trays outside. So, Skua, the outlet for unwanted items is aptly named for the bird. I picked up a pair of boots, a couple pairs of shoes, some shampoo, lotion, and a travel magazine, as well as some random clothes that may or may not fit and end up in Skua again.
The weekends here are great for unwinding and catching up and spending atrocious amounts of time in the galley talking with friends. It's too bad it's three more weeks until another two day weekend rolls around.
No comments:
Post a Comment